Alternative Option to Face Synjardy and Jentadueto Supply Shortages
December 1, 2020
What Is Synjardy?
- Jardiance (empagliflozin) removes excess glucose from the body and passes it out through the urine.
- Metformin helps to lower the amount of sugar made by your liver and helps to lower the amount of sugar your intestines absorb.
What Is Jentadueto?
- Tradjenta (linagliptin) is a member of a class of medicines called DPP-4 inhibitors (dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors). It helps to improve blood sugar levels when they are high, especially after a meal, and decrease the amount of sugar made by the body.
- Metformin : see above.
The brand name of linagliptin in Canada is Trajenta.
What Is an Alternative Option?
If you are in a province that allows pharmacists to switch without a new prescription from a physician:
- If you are temporarily unable to source Synjardy 5 mg/500 mg, switching patients to metformin 500 mgtwice daily and Jardiance 10 mg once daily is an alternative option.
- If you are temporarily unable to source Synjardy 12.5 mg/1000 mg, switching patients to metformin 1000 mg (or metformin 500 mg 2 tablets) twice daily and Jardiance 25 mg once daily is an alternative option.
- If you are temporarily unable to source Jentadueto 5/500 mg, switching patients to Metformin 500 mg twice daily and Tradjenta 5 mg once daily is an alternative option.
- If you are temporarily unable to source Jentadueto 5/850 mg, switching patients to Metformin 850 mg twice daily and Tradjenta 5 mg once daily is an alternative option.
- If you are temporarily unable to source Jentadueto 2.5/1000 mg, switching patients to metformin 1000 mg (or metformin 500 mg 2 tablets) twice daily and Tradjenta 5 mg once daily is an alternative option.
Important message for patients:
- Patients who are affected by the temporary product shortage may receive the individual components that make up their prescription dispensed separately, with instructions about how to take each component.
Above alternative medications, such as metformin, Jardiance and Tradjenta, are available from certified Canadian mail order pharmacies. These prescription products from our Canadian online pharmacy sponsor is much cheaper option compared to the medication from the U.S pharmacy.
The cause of the shortage is temporary and due to a production disruption related to COVID-19. It is not related to product quality or safety. It is anticipated to last an additional three to eight weeks, depending on the product and strength.
This article is sponsored by CheapoMeds. If you have questions about your prescription medications or any other medication, please contact our team at CheapoMeds by calling toll free 1-844-4CHEAPO (424-3276). One of our patient representatives will be happy to assist you or transfer you to a licensed Canadian pharmacist for a free consultation.
This article contains medical information provided to help you better understand this medical condition or process and may contain information about medication often used as part of a treatment plan prescribed by a doctor. It is not intended to be used as either a diagnosis or recommendation for treatment of your medical situation. If you are unwell, concerned about your physical or mental state, or are experiencing symptoms you should speak with your doctor or primary health care provider. If you are in medical distress, please contact emergency services (such as 911).