Asacol Brand Discontinued in the U.S. and Canada: What Are Your Options?
May 14, 2021
Asacol 400mg was discontinued by the manufacturer. If you are worried about having another flare-up because the medication is not available – don’t worry! There are several options still available which we will describe in this article.
What is Asacol?
Asacol was the brand name of mesalamine, also known as mesalazine or 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA). It is an anti-inflammatory medication that works by direct contact with the intestines. It is used to treat inflammatory bowel disease, including ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
Why Was Asacol Discontinued?
The original Asacol was a 400mg tablet. It was brought to market by Warner Chilcott PLC-a company bought by Actavis PLC in 2013.
The 800mg tablet Asacol HD is still available, but it is very expensive and cannot be cut in half to get the same dose due to the delayed-release technology.
The Allergan’s branded Asacol HD costs around $900 for 90 tablets, as of May 12, 2021 (price information sourced from wellrx.com).
What Are Some Less Expensive Options?
Option 1: Brand Name Asacol MR From the United Kingdom (UK)
Both 400mg and 800mg Asacol MR are available from the UK. They are manufactured by Allergan, the same company as in the U.S.
The cost for Asacol MR (as of May 12, 2021) is:
Option 2: Brand Name Asacol From Turkey
The brand named Asacol from Turkey is manufactured by Tillotts Pharma.
The price is $110.73 USD for 90 tablets (800mg).
Option 3: Generic Asacol From Various Manufacturers
- 5-ASA EC, product of Canada, $103.36 USD for 100 tablets (400mg).
- Mesalazine EC, product of UK, $96.87 USD for 120 tablets (400mg).
- Mesacol, product of India, $83.54 USD for 100 tablets (400mg).
- Mesalazine (Octasa), product of UK, $127.90 USD for 90 tablets (800mg).
- Mesacol, product of India, $92.52 USD for 100 tablets (800mg).
Additional Information on this subject:
- Mesalamine, Asacol, Delzicol, mesalazine, and 5-ASA – what’s the difference?
- Asacol – Prescription Medication for the Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis
- Generic Xeljanz To Treat Arthritis and Ulcerative Colitis Is Available Now
- What difference between Uceris (extended-release budesonide) and Entocort EC (controlled ileal-release budesonide)?
Further information on Asacol can be found at the following link: Learn More.
**all prices mentioned are in U.S. dollar.
If you have questions about your prescription medications or any other medication, please contact our team at CheapoMeds by calling toll free 1-844-4CHEAPO (424-3276). One of our patient representatives will be happy to assist you or transfer you to a licensed Canadian pharmacist for a free consultation.
This article contains medical information provided to help you better understand this medical condition or process and may contain information about medication often used as part of a treatment plan prescribed by a doctor. It is not intended to be used as either a diagnosis or recommendation for treatment of your medical situation. If you are unwell, concerned about your physical or mental state, or are experiencing symptoms you should speak with your doctor or primary health care provider. If you are in medical distress, please contact emergency services (such as 911).