November 26, 2020
As the weather turns colder and winter sets upon us enjoying a nice warm cup of cocoa by a fire is exactly what you need! Try our Healthy Hot Cocoa Recipe today and warm yourself from the inside out.
Prep Time: 2 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 7 mins
- 2 cups milk (preferably 2% or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, cacao powder, honey to taste (a teaspoon or two should do you), vanilla and a pinch of salt (sometimes I also add a pinch of cinnamon or even cayenne, if I’m feeling racy). Whisk until smooth.
- Place saucepan over medium heat, and bring the milk to a simmer, whisking often. Give the hot chocolate a taste—if you prefer it sweeter whisk in a bit more honey. Serve warm.
- It’s important to whisk the cacao powder into the milk before heating it up (it will take a bit of whisking to dissolve). If you add the cacao powder to hot milk it can clump up.
- For a vegan version, use canned coconut milk in place of the regular milk (I don’t love the flavor of nut milk in this recipe, but that’s subjective) and swap out the honey for maple syrup.
- A pinch of salt helps to amplify all of the flavors.
- For a Mexican-inspired hot chocolate, add cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Refrigerate any leftover hot chocolate for a healthy chocolate milk