Whole wheat sugar cookies
December 4, 2020
With a fluffy middle and golden edges, these holiday cookies will be sure to delight. With whole wheat flour they’re not only tasty but healthy as well! Try them today!
2 Hours 20 Mins
Serves 32 (serving size: 1 cookie)
- 2 cups of Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 10 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1-ounce of 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon of grated lemon rind
- Naturally colored sparkling sugar (optional)
- To prepare cookies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg; beat until well blended. Add vanilla; beat until blended. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat just until combined.
- Flatten dough into a 6-inch disk; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 32 cookies, using a 2- or 3-inch cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool.
- To prepare icing, whisk together powdered sugar, yogurt, and rind; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired. Let stand on a wire rack until icing is set, about 15 minutes.
- Calories 84
- Fat 4.2g
- Satfat 2.5g
- Monofat 1.1g
- Polyfat 0.3g
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 1g
- Cholesterol 16mg
- Iron 0.0mg
- Sodium 46mg
- Calcium 8mg
- Sugars 5g
- added sugars 5g